Sunday, November 3, 2013

For the love of Anna.

BABY ANNA
 
My kids adore their little sister! They want to be near her, to protect her, to feed and hold her. Naturally, this concern often crosses the line to harmful. Mommy has to be on alert at all times!


The first day or so home from the hospital Will offered Anna his ultimate source of comfort: His blankies. He snuggled them close to her so she would be warm. Fortunately, Daddy discovered him pretty quickly. Will had wrapped his lovies around her FACE.
 
At Mass a few weeks ago, Anna had been sleeping in her car seat in the pew in front of us. I got her out to walk up to Communion. As we came back, Ben caught sight of her empty car seat and panicked. "Where Baby Hannie?" (That's what he calls her). He was mildly panicked! Of course, that whole section of the congregation heard him. However, Baby Anna was safely in Mommy's arms, and Ben smiled with relief.

Today I was rocking Anna as the kids watched TV. I placed her in the sleeper so I could run Will to the potty. I returned and cuddled by myself under her soft blanket, allowing her to sleep solo. Will came back to me with his train book. Distracted, he lifted up a corner of the blanket. "Where Baby Anna?" I pointed her out across the room. He attempted to pull her blanket off of me, but I held tight, confused. So he grabbed another blanket from her car seat and walked over to cover her up.
 
Anna began crying on my bed one day as I sat and laced up my shoes. Will climbed up with a pacifier and (successfully!) popped it in her mouth to calm her down. Each time she pushed it out he gently popped it back in.
 
Anna hates our car to be stopped - for any length of time. She cries at most stoplights, unless asleep. My other kids are the best at alerting me to her tears. "Mommy, Anna's crying!"
 
Monica is old enough to know Anna is mostly hands-off. She takes out her maternal urges on her dolls. From "nursing" them, to changing diapers, to strapping them in Anna's car seat, she is a little mother!
Ben loves Anna, but appreciates her from a distance, when he's interested. Both boys often grab the nearest anything that can act as a stool, and climb up to watch me care for their sister. She's great entertainment!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment